Saturday, May 9, 2015

Weekend Finds


It's the weekend! First of all, let me say Happy Mother's Day to all my fellow mothers out there, and I mean ALL of the mothers out there. In an attempt to not be too sappy, i'm going to leave it at that. There is a special place in my heart for women and families who have experienced unexplained loss and haven't had the opportunity to hold a baby yet in their arms. I've been there, and it's a hollow shell of hurt that deserves a nod and a hug and a whole boatload of feels. 

*ahem*

On to brighter things that hopefully will make fellow thrifters smile. My finds!! I went to a new thrift store in our area yesterday, and hit a Goodwill with my mother today and scored reasonably well at both places. Every year my husband asks what I want for mother's day and my birthday, which is about a month after. Every year I tell him the same. $200 cash and an entire day to myself so I can go thrifting. That usually earns me a look and a roll of the eyes, but I figure if I keep asking then he's bound to give in some day, right? 

The first thrift store I hit was one that just opened in my little town. It has a couple of other locations nearby that are a little bit of a drive, so i'd been to those locations before but this one just opened about a week ago with a rebranding of it's name. Regenesis Thrift is the new name, and it's run by a ministry outreach center. They support those in need, mostly those suffering from substance abuse and battling to get their lives back on track. They also help those recently released from prison who have nowhere to go and think themselves lost and without support. It's a fantastic cause and i'm happy to see a new location that's close to my house and not so far of a drive =) They run the same specials each week, outlined at the site above. Each day is something different rather then a weekly color being 50% off like Goodwill. I happened to go on a Friday, which is 0.95 cent clothing day. Anything not tagged above a certain price automatically is 0.95 cents. Women's clothing usually runs about 1.99 unless they are tagged a little higher (name brand, designer, or NWT)Here's what I found: 
These sweet little Fire King bowls. They are only a couple inches across and a couple inches deep. I use these to heat up broccoli for S and to melt butter if needed. .99 cents for both of them together. 
 Ann Taylor button down blouse. I've been obsessed with finding these now that the weather is getting warmer. I work in a pharmacy and it's freezing in there...so I tend to dress in layers so that when I head outside after work I have something cool on underneath my cardigans.
 Brand new Merona cardigan. It's a really pretty seafoam green color with detailing up top. It still had the tags attached in addition to the sticker on the front. It's literally brand new. It was marked 2.99, so this is the only piece I didn't pay 0.95 for, but i'll take it =)
 Old Navy button down blouse. Grey with a little bit of sparkle!
New York & Company blouse. This one has a cute button down detail all the way down the back, shown below. 

I also picked up a couple of pairs of boots for the kiddo. They are packed away because they are a bit big for her right now, so no pictures of those. After leaving there, I had a little time to kill so I hit Goodwill. Before I show you what I got there, let me tell you about this gem:
This, my friends, is a Thirty-One bag. This particular one is a Suite Skirt Purse, and it came with the attached skirt. I have been hanging on the edge of getting a thirty-one purse for a long time (i'm a bit of a purse snob) and ultimately kept stalling. My local Goodwills usually mark purses as $4 unless otherwise marked. This one WAS tagged higher at $5.99, but that put it in the color tag category so I snagged it half off for 2.99. It's the perfect size, and it's been my current love for almost a month now. 


                                               I walked out of my local Goodwill with this yesterday. It's the original Skirt purse..a little smaller than the one i'm using but a good back up none the less. 4.00 and it now waits happily in my stash. 

Today my mother came and gathered S and I up to peruse a local store that is closing. After we had lunch, I suggested a trip to a Goodwill neither of us had been to in awhile (it's a little bit of a drive) S was trying NOT to fall asleep so she agreed and off we went. 
 VINTAGE!!!!! Remember my left behind train case that I passed up because of wear? Well, look what I stumbled on today! It's a Samsonite and it's gorgeous. It has wear but with a little elbow grease and a magic eraser it's looking a lot better. Complete with Inspected Luggage sticker on top =) 



It found a home on my bathroom counter, holding my makeup. I'm not a huge makeup person, so this is perfect. 



Then there was this. I have a thing for vintage caboodles. I found one a few months ago and snatched it. My sister in law pleaded for me to find her one and lo and behold I went back to the same store a week later and found one for her. Then I found another one, and then I found this one today! I realize this isn't a caboodle, but it's sassaby and it's from the same time period. I picked this up thinking my sister in law might want it for my nieces but she declined so currently it's acting like a jewelry box for S. She loves the bright colors. The second caboodle I found sits on the opposite end of the bathroom counter from my train case and it holds all of her hair things. If I see another one, I know i'm going to pick it up...I have a problem saying no to things from my childhood. 
Last but certainly not least...this munchkin baby food container. I made S's food when she started eating solids and we fumbled with several types of freezable containers. I picked this up because it was new and still in the package. While S is 4 now and way past this stage, we would ultimately like to have another child at some point so I bought it with that in mind. When I got home, I looked it up and whoa am I going to have my work cut out for me. Most of the reviews on this product are dismal, citing the fact that once frozen it is nearly impossible to get the food out. We'll see. I'm not overly upset about it...still a good buy. 


So that's it. Well, not really...but that's all I have pictures of. There was also an adorable milk glass bird container that I got for my mother in law. It's in the process of soaking though, so no pictures of it at the moment. Any favorites? What did you find this weekend?

Cheers, 
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment